The Lyon Review is open to all subject matter and has no bias with regard to political, religious, ethnic, racial or sexual orientation. If your work explores some aspect of the human experience, we want to read about it.
- Short stories up to 6,000 words
- Novel excerpts up to 7,000 words, provided the content can stand on its own as a complete work
- Poetry (submit up to three poems at a time)
- Creative nonfiction up to 6,000 words
- One-act plays or experimental work that crosses genres
- Why We Write (1000 words or less about why you became a writer, realizing publication, or wisdom about the writer’s craft)
We do NOT accept general nonfiction, biography, academic or scholarly articles, travelogue or pure reportage of any kind.
We recognize how frustrating or disappointing it can be to have creative work rejected by an editor or publisher, and we strive to be as inclusive as possible. Help keep rejections to a minimum by submitting a polished manuscript that demonstrates knowledge of literary forms and narrative or poetic elements, and is free of typos, spelling and grammar errors.
1. We accept work from both published and unpublished writers.
2. All prose (fiction, creative nonfiction, Why We Write) manuscripts must be shared using the online form. Prose writers can only submit one manuscript at a time.
3. Poets may submit up to three poems at a time. Poetry should be submitted using the online form, but to ensure we have the proper layout/format, please also email a copy of your poem(s) in Word form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Authors retain all copyright to their work. We accept previously published material assuming you hold reprint rights.
5. We will respond to all manuscripts within six weeks of receipt. Those manuscripts accepted for publication will be posted to the Review within two weeks of acceptance. No manuscripts will be returned.
6. We currently can only accept work in English.
7. Sadly, we are unable to provide payment of any kind.